Publications and forthcoming papers:
1. Measuring gender attitudes using list experiments, joint with Niaz Asadullah, Elisabetta De Cao and Fathema Zahura Khatun. Accepted for publication in Journal of Population Economics. IZA DP version.
2. Media reported violence and female labor supply. Accepted for publication in Economic Development and Cultural Change. An earlier version of this paper appears as “Violence and female labor supply”. Earlier IZA DP version. Media: Ideas for India.
3. Intimate Partner Violence: The influence of job opportunities for men and women, joint with Sonia Bhalotra, Uma Kambhampati and Samantha Rawlings. Forthcoming in The World Bank Economic Review. An earlier version of this paper appears as “Intimate Partner Violence and the Business Cycle”. IZA DP version.
4. Domestic Violence and Child Mortality in the Developing World, joint with Samantha Rawlings. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 2020, 82(4): 723-750. Earlier versions of this paper appear as “Domestic Violence and Child Mortality” (IZA DP 11899) and “Domestic Abuse and Child Health” (IZA DP 8566). Media: News Deeply.
5. Are Drone Strikes Effective in Afghanistan and Pakistan, joint with David Jaeger. Earlier IZA DP version. CESifo Economic Studies, 2018, 64(4), 667-697.
Media: Foreign Policy.
6. The Economic Payoff of Name Americanization, joint with Costanza Biavaschi and Corrado Giulietti. Earlier IZA DP version. Journal of Labor Economics, 2017, 35 (4), 1089-1116.
Media: Freakonomics blog, Chris Blattman, The Economist (1–2), Slate and Financial Times (March 31, 2014).
7. Randomized control trials in an imperfect world. IZA World of Labor, 2014.
8. Partially Identified Treatment Effects Under Imperfect Compliance: The Case of Domestic Violence. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 2013, Volume 108, Issue 502, pg 504-513.
9. Consumption and Social Identity: Evidence from India, joint with Melanie Khamis and Nishith Prakash. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 2012, 83: 353-371. Media: Livemint
10. Tax Evasion, Minimum Wage Non-compliance and Informality, joint with Arnab Basu and Nancy Chau. Research in Labor Economics, 2012, 34: 1-53.
11. Evidence on Caste Based Discrimination. Labour Economics, 2011, 18(S1): S146-S159.
Older Working papers:
2. Racial Differences in Fringe Benefits and Compensation, joint with Wallace Mok. IZA DP version: This is an early version of our work on racial inequality in the US which is superseded by `Racial and Ethnic Inequality in Employer Provided Fringe Benefits.’